Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 138

Thread: Buddy Rich today!

  1. #41
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I'd hate live in a world that had Buddy but didn't have Tony (or Vinnie, Dave, Simon, Virg, etc.) And vice versa.

    The drummers we admire are like fine wines to be savored. Different tastes for different moods. Buddy champagne is good, as is the Tony cab sav, the Vinnie merlot, the Bonzo beer and on-and-on.

    Please avoid the Rikki Rockett weak tea. [img]rolleyes.gif[/img]

  2. #42
    Inactive Member JoesMechanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 12th, 2005
    Posts
    575
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buddy is an amazing drummer. I don't think too many would disagree with that.

    I can remember the many "drum-off's" that Buddy would have with other drummers of his time, the most popular being with Krupa. Everytime I got to hear one of these, you could always tell Buddy had either slaughtered the time with chops galore and had the extra "something special". And that is usually what separates most popular drummers from the ones that aren't as popular.

    And Henry.... I would think that most people here know that Buddy was in Vaudeville since he was a kid. Drumming 101.

    I would agree that Tony was from a different world. He was the predecessor of what would later influence Vinne & Husband too for that matter. You can hear Tony big time in both of their playing.

    Buddy was amazing in driving a big band. Like no one I've heard since him...... even todays BB jazz drummers. Thing is, you just can't replace the emotion that comes from one drummer or another. It's like a fingerprint, everyone has an individual one. I like them all, but they do have different approaches. Doesn't mean one doesn't swing a band any worse, just in a different way.

    But for Henry II to say Vince can't "swing"?? That comment just plain and simply shows your immaturaty. I love the way Vince swings in Bebop and Big Band stuff. And he can "swing" hard while playing what would take 2 drummers to pull off (while eating sushi with his left hand)(last comment referring to the audition of Vinces with Zappa).

    The metric modulation & superimposition ability of Vince's is like no other. Plus if you listen to John Pattatuchi's albums, the "sound" of Vinnie's drums are just as musical as what he is playing. These are concepts that were just not utilized as far Vinnie took them in Buddy's playing or his era. Same with Weckl in the Bill Conners "Step it" or with the Chick Electric band. Inovators of their time. BB drummers of Buddys era mostly were not into the tom sounds and tuning techniques that todays modern drummers are into.

    I think posted by Henry II.....

    "Buddy Rich was better, within his genre, than any other drummer has since been at their's. And neither VC nor DW are the musician that BR was. JMHO."

    Respectfully, I couldn't disagree more with you man. Not only has time past and things evolved more than any other time in musical history, but to say that DW or VC aren't the musicians that BR was is just simply wrong. Aside from actually having studied musical theory in college, DW and VC have taken playing and adding their contributions to the cutting edge of musical evolution to it's limits.

    Henry II posts.....

    "Does that make VC better than BR? Does that mean BR couldn't do the same thing? "

    Henry...

    1st of all, this is such a kiddie drummer topic I almost don't want to respond..... but I will anyway I guess.

    I would suggest you check out that gig of Vinnie with the Chick acoustic band in Japan (sorry S.P. I meant Acoustic, not Electric). You can make your own decision. Personally (I think), Buddy would NEVER be able to duplicate the madness that Vince was blowing both conceptually or via facility. Buddy just is not Vince. Vince is an animal (as weckl once called him).

    I think what Buddy did was amazing in it's own context. But today you have a new breed of drummers that are just as able to play in Buddys style and genre as well as many others both early and contemporary.

  3. #43
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    HA HA HAAAAA, 5

    That's IT.

    Word.

    [Aw, try ta go easy on RR...Unskinny Bop was about as shuffle 'funky' as he got!...& he DID help aquanet, spamdex, & maybelline/revlon stock]...

    Well, if someone HAS to be the whippin' boy, then...might as well be someone who wears women's clothing & make-up! [img]rolleyes.gif[/img] [DOH!] j/k!
    [Now, all the cross-dressers, don't get off'd at that]... [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img] J/K again!!!
    ...jus' "Gimme somethin' to believe in"...
    [Or a nice fuscia or magenta to wear.] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

    Dimmit, 5, ya got me started again, didn't 'cha...
    [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 11, 2005 06:52 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

  4. #44
    Inactive Member five eight's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 9th, 2003
    Posts
    924
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I don't mind admitting I like Unskinny Bop. I remember when MD used to print portraits in the back of each issue. One month was a stupendous Buddy in a band sweater head and shoulders shot and the next was a publicity still of Rikki Rockett pimped out. That's what I love about drumming, the various personalities involved.

    There's a certain manic insanity that comes with the territory.

    Buddy's arrogance and ill manners toward his band members are balanced by his musicality and genius. I met him once and he was out-of-his-way nice to me, knowing I was a drummer, however I don't think he was a very nice guy to be around for very long unless you were Johnny Carson or Mel Torme and he even talked major shit to them on TV. Buddy wouldn't network well at all today.

    Tony Williams was very nice to me when I met him too but he wasn't the most pleasant of teachers to be around, as Peter C. so eloquently reported here many moons ago.

  5. #45
    Inactive Member Henry II's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 6th, 2005
    Posts
    696
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Originally posted by got_a_match_grip?:
    I just feel that Vinnie is a breed apart from most everyone in the drumming world, someone who's style is SO unique that very few if any mirror what he does. . . . Anyway...Buddy AND Vinnie are incredible musicians, each within their own right.

    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Agreed. VC is unmatched in the history of drumming, at what he does well. And so is BR at what he did well. The fact that you personally value VC's gifts more than you value BR's gifts doesn't mean everyone else does. In addition, it's hard for me to really appreciate VC because I'm not a big fan of the music that he plays. And I'll bet I'm not alone in that. The music BR played was amazing stuff, and musicians BR played with, like Harry James, were the Buddy Rich's of their instrument. (Or, maybe BR was the HJ of the drums).

    I've heard lots of BR imitators, but no one that can play like BR, not even VC. The closest, that I know of would be Duffy Jackson (a former student of BR and GK), who may exceed BR in terms of furious, high energy, hard swing, and mind blowing, endless rapid fire phrasing. He just doesn't quite have BR's hands. (Although Duffy has the fastest most powerful feet I've ever heard, anywhere).

    BTW Matrix, attitude is everything. [img]wink.gif[/img]

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 11, 2005 09:16 PM: Message edited by: Henry II ]</font>

  6. #46
    Inactive Member Vdrummer's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 9th, 2002
    Posts
    1,128
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Buddy was also a superb brush player, which many people seem to be unaware.

    BTW - Matricks, Buddy did redefine the music he played every bit as much as VC or Tony or anyone else has, it just happened 40 years beore you were born. He was an incredible innovator, one of the first true technical players, which is just one of the reasons he's so admired by the players you admire.

  7. #47
    Inactive Member matricks's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 15th, 2002
    Posts
    986
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I just played a good gig so i am in a good mood. I will give you all a group hug and move on from this topic [img]wink.gif[/img]

    Points all taken (doesn't mean i AGREE with everyone, but i do hear you) [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  8. #48
    Inactive Member got_a_matchgrip's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 5th, 2005
    Posts
    1,335
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Group [img]graemlins/boy_hug.gif[/img] 's for evrabody!!
    [img]graemlins/party.gif[/img]

    Now mat, you whippersnapper you, just you straighten up there young fella, or we'll have ta send Carl Palmer over there to give ya a bandstand lazy-horn-section-player "BR [verbal?] jiu-jitsu lesson"... [img]graemlins/grrr.gif[/img]
    [img]wink.gif[/img] [img]tongue.gif[/img] [img]biggrin.gif[/img] j/k

    [Just file this under "absurd, & somewhat-if-even-mildly funny"]...woot.

    <font color="#a62a2a" size="1">[ June 12, 2005 03:00 PM: Message edited by: got_a_match_grip? ]</font>

  9. #49
    Inactive Member davfrancis's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 1st, 2002
    Posts
    269
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Lars is better than all of them [img]tongue.gif[/img]

  10. #50
    Inactive Member Cameron_Mahoney's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 11th, 2003
    Posts
    146
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So, Lincoln or Washington?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •